Automated Standard Addition System
Phoenix TIMS (Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometer)
World class heritage and knowledge
Isotopx are the TIMS specialists.
- Isotopx was formed in February 2008 as a Management buyout (MBO) from GV instruments. The MBO was in response to Thermo Corporation’s purchase of GV instruments and the subsequent enquiry by the UK Competition Commission into the purchase.
We trace our heritage to the very first commercial TIMS, the MM30, launched by VG* Micromass in 1973. We are justifiably proud of this tradition, many of the subsequent instruments manufactured by VG Isotopes, VG Isotech, Micromass and GV instruments continue to be supported by Isotopx engineers even in some cases after more than 25 years of service.
With the latest Phoenix the tradition of excellence is maintained. Operating at the highest levels of stability, sensitivity and precision, the Phoenix provides the current state of the art in isotope ratio analysis, whatever the sample size. The Isotopx team continues to provide the finest customer support for the Phoenix and also for the many hundreds of legacy instruments.
VG MM30 mass spectrometer, the worlds first multi-sample TIMS
VG Sector 54 1987-1996, a benchmark TIMS.
The Phoenix TIMS instrument is designed to measure isotope ratios of non-gaseous elements with the highest sensitivity and precision. High sensitivity results from careful design of the ion extraction optics combined with high vacuum around the ionizing filament. High precision is also the result of highly sensitive, low noise, stable detectors, that can measure extremely low ion currents from nanoamps (nA, 1 x 10-9 A) to single ion detection (1.6 x 10-19 A). The Phoenix represents the ultimate combination of all these factors.
Phoenix TIMS Design Features
- · Compact footprint
- · Largest radius electromagnet on commercial TIMS for optimal transmission,
resolution, and stability
- · Positive and negative ion capability as standard
- · Highly stable high voltage and magnet field control such that mass drift
<20ppm of mass over 40 minutes.
- · Rotated ion focal plane such that the collector focal plane is perpendicular to
the ion trajectory, ensuring optimal peak flat irrespective of collector position
across the focal plane
- · X62 option to allow simultaneous measurement of UO2+
- · Long life Faraday cups that carry a 10 year guarantee of never having to be
- · Largest pumping capacity on commercial TIMS for the fastest pump down
from atmosphere leading to improved productivity and best ultimate vacuum
- · Stainless steel source chamber with accessory ports for sample pre-heat,
cold trap and oxygen bleed
- · 20 position sample carousel that rotates perpendicular to the ion trajectory,
ensuring zero possibility of sample cross contamination
- · Hinged door with a viewing window that a pyrometer can be mounted onto
- · Highest capacity analyser ion pumps on commercial TIMS for best ultimate
vacuum and abundance sensitivity
- · Highest sensitivity due to largest ion extraction slits and optimal focussing
- · Largest dynamic range ion counter. (Daly detector)
- · Options for Secondary Electron Multiplier
- · Option for multiple ion counting with conversion dynode technology
- · Option for Retarding filter to improve abundance sensitivity on axial Daly or
SEM to <1 x 10-8 at 237 with respect to 238U
- · All detectors except for axial Daly and SEM are independently and
individually motorized. No other TIMS offers this flexibility
- · Powerful and flexible software for tailor made applications as well as
- · Fully networkable to permit remote control of the instrument
The IonVantage software is a comprehensive ion beam control, and data acquisition package.
It has been customized to produce the ultimate in isotope ratio acquisition.
IonVantage includes the following functionality:
- Data system operates within Windows XP environment it is fully networkable
- Adjustment of focus potentials, automatically or “manually” through the data system
- Control of HT and magnetic field
- Peak centre through HT or field control
- Turret position
- Ionization and evaporation filament control
- Optimization of ion beam using focussing, filament current or temperature
- Peak and baseline scanning for all collectors
- Real time monitoring of ion intensities for all collectors
- Automatic focussing and peak centre during analysis
- Static, multidynamic and single collector analysis on Faraday’s, ion counting or combinations
- Individual, high precision, motor control of each Faraday and ion counting detector
- Independent control of ion multiplier voltage, discriminator, and deflection voltage
- Baseline subtraction
- Total evaporation
- Total ion charge accumulation analysis
- Customized analysis routines using Microsoft EXCELTM spreadsheets, e.g. isotope dilution, oxide de-convolution
- Automatic interference and exponential mass bias correction
- Customisable mass fractionation corrections
- All analysis data and system information is stored for each analysis
- Post processing of analysis data
- Full QC control is built in
- Instrument calibrations
- Collector gains
- Resistor decay (Tau)
- Noise tests
- Mass/Field Calibration
- Source and analyzer vacuum monitoring
- Analyzer vacuum protection in case of power failure
- Control of bake out temperature and duration
Isotopx is very proud of its ability to service not only current instruments but also instruments which are up to 25 years old. This is due to the robustness of the instrument designs but also due to Isotopx being able to retain skilled and dedicated engineers who have the essential knowledge to support our instruments.
We can supply a variety of post warranty service plans, which can vary from simple email, and telephone support to complete extended warranty support with preventative maintenance contracts.
Isotopx provides a unique service for a unique instrument.
· Phoenix is supplied with a standard 2 year parts and labour warranty.
· Phoenix Faraday collectors and the Ion Counting Daly have a 10 year warranty.
Isotopx Limited, Millbrook Court, Midpoint 18, Middlewich,
Cheshire CW10 0GE United Kingdom
Tel: + 44 (0) 1606 839810
Fax: + 44 (0) 1606 839811